How to find your lost mobile phone
Mobile phones has become a part of our lives and we cannot think of living without one. Our mobile is our responsibility and we will be liable for any improper usage of our phones. But what happens if your phone is lost. First thing to do is to verify if it is really lost or is it just a misplacement.
Scenario 1: Simple things first. You have misplaced your phone somewhere in your house or workplace and can’t remember where. What can be done in such a scenario ?
- Make a call to your number from another phone and if you can hear it, trace the phone.
- If your phone is in silent mode, above trick won’t work. In such a case, put off all lights in the room and make a call to your number and look for the faint glow emanating from the cell phone screen.
Scenario 2: It is lost but not stolen. You have placed it at some distant place and can’t remember where it is.
- Take a deep breath and calm your mind. Close your eyes and try to visualize as a third person observing you from a distance. Think as if you are watching a movie that is about all your movements and activities on that day. If you do this slowly, you will in all probability remember where you have misplaced the cell phone. This may sound simple, but believe me, this trick worked for me so many times.
Scenario 3: Your cell phone is stolen or lost permanently
This is a difficult situation. First thing you should do is to report the incidence to the nearest police station. This will make a record that you are not owning the phone anymore from that moment. In your report you should mention the IMEI number of your mobile. This will help in tracing and recovering your phone faster. If you don’t know the IMEI number then try to find the box of your phone and it will be mentioned in one of the stickers placed in the box. Look for the one containing bar codes, it will contain the IMEI number.
It is always better to take a note of your phone’s IMEI number. You can easily find that using any of the below steps
- Locate the box of your phone and it should be mentioned in the sticker containing the bar codes.
- Go the dialer of your phone and type *#06# You will get the IMEI number as a pop-up message
- Open the back cover of your phone and remove the battery. The IMEI number should be mentioned on a sticker under the battery.
Of course, the easiest way is step 2. Take a note of your phone’s IMEI number now.
Let me also share with you about an Android app that can be used to protect your data in case your phone is stolen or lost. Mobile Defense is an android app that allows users to protect their personal information by enabling them to remotely lock their device, wipe sensitive data and back up data on your mobile. If you are an iPhone user you can opt for MobileMe or iHound.